Dallas Hall

Photos provided by Southern Methodist University

Dallas Hall

The colossal domed building at the center of campus was modeled after the library rotunda at the University of Virginia and is named Dallas Hall in recognition of the city that pledged financial support to ensure SMU's current location. Constructed on a hill, Dallas Hall opened in 1915; it housed the entire university and inspired "The Hilltop" nickname given to SMU. Students seeking a night in town after a difficult day of classes could head to the building's barbershop and bank for a clean haircut and some spending money. Almost a century later, the university continues to value and further cultivate its relationship with the city for which its central building is named.